What makes up a dental implant?
A dental implant is made of two parts. A biocompatible, titanium rod allows the implant to become fused to the jawbone securely. The other half of the artificial tooth is the porcelain crown, which is the only exposed portion of the dental implant. This part of the restoration is made to look like a natural tooth. The dyed porcelain mimics the coloration, shape, and function of a healthy tooth.
What are the benefits of a dental implant?
- Dental implants offer better security with eating, talking, and laughing than dentures.
- Implants can be cleaned and maintained easily.
- These artificial teeth match the feeling of natural teeth more closely than any other dental restoration.
- The rod implanted into the jawbone prevents alveolar deterioration and keeps adjacent teeth from drifting out of place.
- The porcelain crown has a similar, semi-translucent quality of natural teeth, making the artifical tooth discrete.
How long do dental implants last?
Dental implants can last a lifetime with proper dental care. Brushing and flossing at least two times a day will keep your dental implant and your entire mouth healthy. Factors like gum disease, oral cancer, an adjacent abscessed tooth, and other severe oral infections can contribute to the failure of a dental implant.
How do you clean a dental implant?
You can maintain your dental implant with the same oral hygiene routine you use for your natural teeth. Scheduling regular dental cleanings and checkups is also important for the health of your tooth restoration.
Who is a candidate for dental implants?
Candidates for dental implants must have enough bone density to have the biocompatible rod fused to the jawbone. Patients must also have healthy gums with no sign of gum disease or oral cancer for the dental implant to succeed. Dr. Van Wicklen can determine your ability to receive dental implants based on a dental examination and dental X-rays.
Dental Implants in South Austin
Our implant dentist, Dr. Van Wicklen, offers quality dental care in South Austin. For more information about dental implants, contact our Austin dentist office by phone at (512) 448-3131 or online at southaustindentist.com.