Over time, our teeth can become stained with embarrassing discoloration. In order to brighten your teeth, your Austin dentist, Dr. Van Wicklen, offers a professional teeth whitening solution. In today’s blog, Dr. Van Wicklen discusses the benefits of our innovative at-home whitening procedure. He also explains how dental bonding and porcelain veneers can mask the appearance of permanent teeth stains.
Teeth Whitening Quiz
1. True or False: There are two types of teeth stain.
2. True or False: Your Austin TX cosmetic dentist can brighten smiles from home.
3. True or False: To mask intrinsic stains, Dr. Van Wicklen offers dental bonding.
4. True or False: Porcelain veneers can address permanent teeth stains.
1. True. Extrinsic stains occur on the surface of our teeth. The products we consume usually cause extrinsic discoloration, such as drinking red wine or coffee and smoking. Intrinsic teeth stains, or permanent teeth stains, form when the tooth structure beneath the enamel becomes discolored. Trauma, or the use of certain antibiotics, such as tetracycline, may cause intrinsic discoloration.
2. True. Our at-home whitening technique can remove extrinsic stains and in some cases, minor intrinsic discoloration as well. The patient receives a custom-made whitening tray and a powerful bleaching gel. After wearing the gel-filled tray daily for the amount of time recommended by Dr. Van Wicklen, you can brighten your smile by multiple shades.
3. True. To address intrinsic stains, Dr. Van Wicklen may prescribe dental bonding. This procedure uses a special composite resin to repair damage and cover permanent teeth stains.
4. True. Veneers are thin shells of special dental porcelain placed on the front of a patient’s tooth. Veneers are natural looking and stain resistant, repairing damaged teeth and masking the appearance of permanent intrinsic stains.
Schedule a Visit with Your Austin TX Cosmetic Dentist
At-home teeth whitening can address dental discoloration and boost the appearance of your smile. For more information, contact your Austin TX cosmetic dentist today. Dr. Van Wicklen will decide which of our cosmetic procedures will best brighten your smile. You can schedule an appointment or a consultation with Dr. Van Wicklen by calling 512-448-3131. Located in the 78704 area, we proudly serve the cities of Austin, Round Rock, Pflugerville, Bastrop, Bee Cave, Cedar Park, and all surrounding communities.