Do you know how to treat a broken tooth? If you’ve answered no, you’re not alone. Many people don’t know how to treat or handle a dental emergency. However, by taking the correct steps, patients can avoid causing any further damage to the affected area.
Here, Dr. Steven Van Wicklen, your Austin, TX dentist discusses what to do if you’re suffering from a broken tooth.
Take These Steps If You Break a Tooth
If you’re able to visit your Austin, TX dentist, do this right away. However, breaking a tooth isn’t usually that convenient. Therefore, if you’re unable to see the dentist, take care to follow these steps.
- Gather the pieces. First, gather any pieces of the tooth that have broken off, if you can. This is especially helpful if you’re able to visit the dentist within three hours. For patients who meet this deadline, Dr. Van Wicklen might have the ability to reattach the missing pieces.
- Clean the area. Sometimes, a broken tooth can cause some bleeding. Should this apply to your situation, place a piece of gauze on the tooth for 10 minutes to stop the bleeding.
- Rinse with salt water. To help ward off the possibility of an infection, take care to rinse your mouth with warm salt water. Simply mix a teaspoon of salt with a cup of warm water and rinse until the entire solution has been used.
- Take an NSAID. Address any pain you’re experiencing by taking an over-the-counter pain reliever, such as, ibuprofen or acetaminophen. This helps alleviate the pain and reduce some of the swelling.
- Cover the sharp edges. Broken teeth typically have sharp edges that can cause damage to the soft tissues in your mouth. To protect your mouth, place a bit of paraffin wax over the tooth. Covering the tooth also prevents bacteria from entering the exposed opening and causing an infection.
Restorative Dental Care is Available, from Your Austin, TX Dentist
For patients who have a broken tooth, take care to visit Dr. Van Wicklen as soon as possible. With the proper treatment, your smile can heal and become fully functional again. To schedule an appointment with our Austin, TX dental practice, call us at (512) 448-3131. Also, visit our website for services, patient forms, and to read more about the team. We happily welcome patients from Bouldin, East Cesar Chavez, South River City, Zilker, Riverside, Rosewood, Chestnut, and the surrounding areas.