When a tooth becomes seriously damaged, it can still be restored by a dental crown. These restorative devices are sometimes called caps, owing to the way that they fit over the top of a damaged tooth to add strength. But how much do you really know about dental crowns. Take the quiz below from your Austin TX dentist, Dr. Van Wicklen, and put your knowledge to the test.
Take the Quiz
- True or False: A cavity cannot necessitate a dental crown.
- True or False: Porcelain crowns are widely considered to offer the best cosmetic results of any type of dental crown.
- True or False: Porcelain crowns may not be the best option for restorations toward the back of the mouth.
Check Your Answers
- False. Tooth decay can significantly weaken a tooth’ structural integrity. After a while, this weakness can manifest itself when the tooth cracks, chips, or breaks. However, even before structural damage occurs, a dental crown may be necessary as a preventive measure. The extra support provided by the crown can lend the tooth strength and prevent further damage from occurring
- True. Porcelain crowns can be customized to imitate the appearance of nearby teeth, but their adaptability is not what makes them the leader in cosmetic results. Instead, it is the ability of these crowns to mimic the way that light reflects off of a natural tooth. This characteristic gives porcelain crowns a natural sheen, making them appear very realistic.
- True. Although they offer the best cosmetic results, porcelain crowns do have limitations. They are not as strong as either metal or porcelain-fused-to-metal (PFM) crowns. Therefore, when it comes to restorations in the back of the mouth, where the forces of biting and chewing are greater, porcelain crowns are not usually the best option.
Schedule a Visit with Your Austin TX Dentist
Dental crowns can preserve and protect damaged teeth, restoring your smile and the functionality of your teeth. If you have a damaged tooth, contact your Austin TX dentist to discuss your treatment options today. You can schedule an appointment or a consultation with Dr. Van Wicklen by calling 512-448-3131. Located in the 78704 area, we proudly serve the cities of Austin, Round Rock, Pflugerville, Bastrop, Bee Cave, Cedar Park, and all surrounding communities.